How to Check Transmission Fluid
Checking transmission fluid is a quick and easy way to avoid costly repairs and make sure your car is running right. Follow these simple steps to check your transmission fluid with the team at Rusnak/Westlake Porsche, and then schedule an appointment for a transmission fluid change at our service center near Malibu in Thousand Oaks.
- Pop the hood – Find the gauge to pop the hood, generally under the driver’s seat area, and then find the latch beneath the hood to pop it.
- Find the transmission fluid dipstick – Once you’ve got the hood up and secured, find the transmission fluid dipstick. On rear-wheel drive vehicles, this is usually toward the back of the engine. On front-wheel drive cars, it’s usually toward the front, sticking out of the transaxle. Remember not to mistake it for the oil dipstick.
- Remove the dipstick – Keeping the engine on and the vehicle in park, remove the dipstick.
- Check the fluid quality – Touch the fluid on the dipstick and rub it between your fingers. It should be almost clear with a pink tint–not burnt smelling or dark.
- Check the fluid level – Wipe the dipstick with a clean rag, reinsert it, pull it out, and check the fluid level against the “full” line on the dipstick.
For the record: only older, air-cooled Porsche models feature a dipstick. On newer models, you can see your fluid levels on your infotainment system!
How Often to Change Transmission Fluid
When to change transmission fluid varies somewhat depending on a number of different factors, including the make, model, and year of your car, how much the car is used, and the conditions the car is driven under. In general, though, it’s recommended that most cars get their transmission fluid changed every 30,000 to 60,000 miles.
Low Transmission Fluid Symptoms
Since there’s not a set mileage for how often to get your transmission fluid changed, it’s a good idea to watch for the following low transmission fluid symptoms:
- Gears slipping
- Transmission surging
- Difficulty switching gears
- Overheated transmission
Get a Transmission Fluid Flush Near Westlake Village Today!
Driving your car around with low transmission fluid can end up causing really expensive damages for your vehicle. Avoid costly repairs and keep your vehicle performing its best by bringing it in for a transmission fluid replacement near Oxnard at the Rusnak/Westlake Porsche service center. We’re located at 3839 Auto Mall Drive in Thousand Oaks, CA, and our service center is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Should you have any questions, don’t hesitate to give us a call at (844) 245-3668.
While you’re here, check out our overview of the signs that it’s time to get your tires aligned, learn more about Porsche detailing, or read up on car loan interest rates, or find out about extended warranties with our team.